Thursday, May 8, 2008

White Fish




White Fish is under rated. It is grunted upon because of its cost and simplicity. I personally love white fish. Recently I was fortunate to dine at Avec, my new favorite restaurant here in Chicago. I had an amazing Galician style White Fish. It was beyond anything I could have imagined. It was perfectly crisp and not over cooked. I prepared mine in a much sweeter palate. This is my twist on a wonderful dish we serve at Azucar tapas. Its paired with sweet and earthy squash, parsnips and crispy shallots. It all comes together with a sweet and tangy Orange Thyme pan sauce. I used Kabocha, or Japanese pumpkin and cooked it a bit longer covered to make a delicate mash. It was perfect.


6 ounce white fish fillets, skin on
salt
fresh thyme
kabocha squash, organic
parsnips
orange juice
shallots
garlic
butter
-
add about one quart of orange juice into a small sauce pan. add one shallot, thinly sliced, along with crushed garlic and a couple sprigs of fresh thyme. reduce down to about half. cool and strain. set aside.
carefully cube the squash into even small pieces. peel and chop parsnips into the same size. toss with salt and bake covered in 375 degree oven until tender, about 20 minutes. caramelize shallots and mix into kabocha and parsnips, using a fork, mix to make a rustic mash.
salt fish on both side, on high heat, sear skin side first.
deglaze pan with orange sauce, add some butter and fresh thyme.let reduce.